Christmas can mean different things to different people.
– to the lonely person, it can be a reminder of what they don’t have…family, friends and meaningful relationships.
– to people who are facing their first Christmas without a loved one, either thru divorce or a death.
– to the person who has just been laid off or is in a difficult financial situation.
– for most people, it’s just a feel good time of year when people are more loving.
– for believers in Jesus, it’s a time of celebration. That God so loved us that He sent us a Messiah in a most unexpected way.
– a combination of 2 or 3 of the above things.
Which of the above seasons are you in this year? When the Israelites were in Babylon during their captivity, what was God’s message to them? Jeremiah 29:1-14 says God told them “to build houses and settle down, plant gardens and eat…” In other words, God was telling them not to rush thru the season of life that they were in. Verse 14 says to seek the peace and prosperity of this season. Ultimately, God has good plans for us as it says in verses 11-14.
Right now, you may be in a desert place. But the desert is one place where God can speak to you. Isaiah 58:11 says, “And the Lord will continuously guide you , and satisfy your desire in a scorched place…” Luke 5:16 says Jesus often withdrew to lonely places to pray. Jesus spent a lot of time in remote places seeking His Father’s guidance…Matthew 14:23, Luke 6:12 & Mark 1:35.
A desert is no fun place to be and you don’t want to live there. But it can be a time of intimacy with God, a learning place and a place of strengthening your relationship to God.
So, embrace the desert if this is the season you’re in. Learn from it and know that it will soon end. Make it a productive time. Hebrews 12:1-3 says, “…let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles…Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.”
For His Kingdom,