OK, not everything, but dog-gone-it, so much of what we’ve been told is true just isn’t.
- We’re told by many people and groups that overpopulation is the primary cause of starvation. Really? Then why aren’t overpopulated nations like Japan and Singapore starving? Heavily industrialized Japan, where farmland is at a premium, produces twice as much rice as Burma, which is twice as large and has way more farmland than Japan. Some of the worst famines in the 20th century were the result of governmental policies. Five million starved in the Ukraine and 30 million starved in China as Stalin and Mao forced a take-over of all the farmland. Food shortages have much more to do with governmental policies than overpopulation does.
- The slave trade existed mostly in the American South in the 1800’s. False! Studies show that only 4.5% of African slaves were brought to America. The other 95.5% went to Brazil (which received 10 times the number that America did), Central and South America and the Caribbean Islands. In America, the slaves lived longer while in the other countries, they died younger and more frequently, mostly due to disease. There have been and are, many other slaves than just African slaves. Slavery has been and does exist in middle eastern countries and the Far East. Sexual slavery even exists in America today. We should work to outlaw all types of slavery. It is despicable to both man and God.
- Humans use only 10% of our brains. And if we were able to use all of it, think of all the things we could do. Could we move stuff with our mind? Could we soul-travel outside of our body? Could we read someone else’s mind? Ummm, no, not really. The 10% figure was obtained by a psychologist and an anthropologist in the early 1900’s when little was known about the brain. Much more recent research has found that different parts of our brain are used for different functions. Part of our brain is used for memory, part is used for logical thinking, part is used for creativity, etc. While no more than 5% is used at any one time, in the course of a day, all of it is used (unless of course, you’re a politician or a TV soap opera watcher). Scientists have figured out all the major parts of your brain and what functions those parts are used for. They have not found any unused parts.
- The wild west was a place of murder and mayhem. Not by today’s standards. While the notorious mining town of Aurora, Nevada (one of the most violent towns imaginable) was loaded with brothels and bars, muggings were rare (about 5/year in its boom years of 1861-1865). Most American cities average 30-40 times this number. Stagecoaches were robbed a couple dozen times but only twice were passengers robbed. There were no bank robberies or rapes. Even swearing in front of a woman was punishable by a fine and a month in jail. In 1879, the infamous Dodge City only had 5 murders. The worst year in Tombstone saw only 5 deadly shootings. The only reason the shootout at the OK Corral became famous was because the town played it up to attract settlers and later, tourists. Gunfights were extremely rare. The image of the wild, wild west was created by 3 things;
#1…penny novels of that time that were sold in the eastern U.S.
#2…Buffalo Bill’s Wild West show
#3…present day Hollywood
Please note that all 3 of these were manufactured to sell a product that didn’t really exist.
- There are errors and contradictions in the bible. Really? Where? Please point them out. Most people who say this are just repeating what others have said. They never really studied it for themselves. When someone points out an alleged error or contradiction, a little bit of studying will clear it up. The bible has survived almost 2,000 years of criticisms. It will survive a lot more. For a brief discussion of this, read https://bsssb-llc.com/what-about-all-those-errors-and-contradictions-in-the-Bible/.
Also, check out the references at the bottom of the article.
For His Kingdom,