Will people go to hell because they haven’t heard about Jesus?
Some people ask this question to cast doubt on whether God is fair. But it is a legitimate question, so let’s explore it.
- The bible is very clear that no one comes to God except thru Jesus (John 14:6, Acts 4:12)
- 1st Timothy 2:4 declares that God “…desires all men to be saved.” 2nd Peter 3:9 says that God desires that “…no one should perish but that all should come to repentence.”
- Job 34:12 says that God is fair & just
- Acts 8:26-35 describes a sincere person seeking to know the truth. So God sent him a missionary, Philip, to explain everything to him.
- God reveals Himself to people where the gospel isn’t preached, thru dreams & visions. This happened to the gentile Cornelius in Acts 10:1-48. God gave him a vision (and then sent him a missionary, the apostle Peter, to explain everything to him). Today, in the Middle East, many Muslims are having dreams & visions of Jesus and are coming to faith in Him thru them (charismanews.com/opinion/63635-dreams-and-visions-of-jesus-are-fueling-the-explosive-growth-of-christianity-in-muslim-nations-worldwide).
Another good example of this is Helen Keller. She was blind & deaf. When she finally learned to communicate with the outside world, someone told her about Jesus. Her response was…So that’s His name. I’ve known Him for years, I just didn’t know His name. God had revealed Himself to her even though she was blind & deaf.
- Finally, all people know instinctively, that there is a God. But some of these people won’t believe in God no matter what. They are without excuse (Romans 1:18-20 & 3:11)
So it’s not the case of God not getting His message to someone who is seeking after the truth (Acts 10:34,35). To anyone who honestly desires to know God, He will somehow reveal Himself to them. He gives everyone some light. If they want more, He will give them more. If they don’t want more, He will honor that also. Will people go to hell because they haven’t heard of Jesus? No! God will reveal Himself to everyone that wants to know. What they do with it is up to them.
For His kingdom,