Foundations 1 – Who is God – 2 Student notes
Deuteronomy 6:4 (the Shema….Israel’s one sentence belief statement) says….’the Lord your God is one’.
The word ‘one’ in Hebrew is either
____________….one as in only one (like one banana) or
___________….one as in a unity (like one bunch of bananas)
In Deut 6:4, the Hebrew word ‘one’ is Echod, not Yachid.
The Bible says that there is 1 God….Isa 44:4-8….45:5,6,18,21….46:9
The Bible says that the Father is God….Titus 1:4….Philippians 1:2…Ephesians 1:2…Galatians 1:3
The Bible says that __________ is God….we’ll see this in meeting #3&4.
The Bible says that the ________ __________ is God….Acts 5:3,4
The Holy Spirit is a person, not an impersonal force like electricity or the Force in Star Wars.
The Holy Spirit:
- Gives us ______…. Luke 10:21
- _________ us….John 14:15-21
- __________ us of our sin….John 16:5-11
- ___________ us of our sin….1Cor6:11
- Reveals __________ to us….John 16:12-15
- Helps us ___________ to who Jesus is….John 15:25 – 16:4
- Can be _____________….Acts 7:51
- Can be ____________ to….Acts 5:3,4
- Gives us power to _______________ evil….Ephesians 6:17
- Raised Jesus from the __________….1Tim3:16
- Brings _____________ to believers….1Peter4:14
- __________________ Christ & us….Hebrews 9:14
- The _____________ of the Spirit are personal….Galatians 5:22,23
- He is a _____________….Romans 8:16
In the early 300’s A.D., an elder in the Egyptian church (Arius) started teaching that the Father was God but the Son was a created being and not God. Arius also taught that the Holy Spirit was not God but was an impersonal force. In 325 A.D. at the city of Nicea (across the straits from modern Istanbul), the council of bishops of the Christian churches declared Arius was wrong. They produced a statement that we call the Nicene Creed, which states that the Bible unequivocally teaches the trinity. This is a fundamental of the faith. If our definition of God is wrong, then we are believing in another God, not the God of the Bible.
The Arian belief has been resurrected in our day by the Jehovah’s Witnesses (the Watchtower Society).
Did you know that God has a name? Exodux 3:14….in the original Hebrew, “I am that I am” is really _________. Since we can’t pronounce this, we stick 2 a’s in it and pronounce it Yahwah. This is God’s personal name.
“Here, O Israel: The Lord our God, The Lord is one”