How I became a Young Earth Creationist (YEC)
I knew I wanted to major in physics and astronomy since the 9th grade. Mind you, I wasn’t a Christian until age 24. In high school, I had to take biology, chemistry and math. In biology, there was only one view of origins ever taught, that of evolution. No other view was allowed. This was in 1965.
In my nuclear physics class in college, I remember asking the professor about radioactive dating. What if a rock didn’t start out with zero particles of the “daughter” isotope and 100% of the “parent” isotope? Wouldn’t that throw the dating process off? Yes, it would he replied. But I figured that professors were a lot smarter than I and that I should just accept what they said.
In college, a few Christians I knew couldn’t answer the most basic questions about God and the bible that I had. I began to look on them as intellectual weaklings. But a few years later, thru a personal tragedy, I became a believer at age 24. My 2nd prayer was for God to objectively prove Himself to me so that I could effectively serve Him my whole life. It is something that He started back then and continues to do today. These proofs about God and the bible were out there all along. My Christian friends and I just didn’t know about them.
With my new Christian friends, when the subject of origins came up, I just spouted off the standard evolutionary line. One of my friends asked me if I had read anything about creationism. I hadn’t, so I went to the local Christian bookstore and bought some books on creationism. As I read these scientists and the accounts of their views, it began to make sense. I was impressed by their answers and began to think that maybe these creation scientists weren’t intellectual weaklings after all. I was shocked by most of their answers. They were using standard methods of proof to arrive at their conclusions. They were also pointing out the flaws in evolutionary thinking. Flaws that none of my teachers had ever pointed out. To not critique a theory that you’re teaching is unacceptable for college professors. Yet here they were doing just that.
Over the next 2 years or so, I became convinced that 6 day creationism was a legitimate scientific theory that should be taught in public schools. The late Dr. Henry Morris even wrote a high school textbook for this very purpose called “Scientific Creationism: the public school edition.”
Since that time, scientists have found much more evidence that brings into question the evolutionary theory. Much of that new information supports the creationist theory. Even secular scientists are beginning to doubt evolution. Read https://bsssb-llc.com/quotations-from-scientists-evolutionists-about-darwinian-evolution/
Here are a few of the recent examples:
– dinosaurs with intact cells and intact DNA whereas if they were millions of years old, neither one should still exist… https://creation.com/dino-dna-bone-cells
– Carbon-14 found in million year old soil when if should have dissipated a long time ago, plus a lot of other young earth observed facts.
– the amount of salt in the oceans should be a lot more if evolution is true.
– the amount of sediment on the sea floor should be a lot more if evolution is true.
– the decay of earth’s magnetic field.
– recession of the moon from the earth.
– the presence of a significant magnetic field around Mercury that shouldn’t be there if Mercury was as old as evolutionists say it is. The same goes for Uranus, Neptune and the Jupiter moons of Ganymede, Io and Europa.
– the faint Sun paradox.
– the whole theory of solar system formation. The discovery of new planets totally blew this theory out the window.
– the ageing of spiral galaxies. They should be completely wound up if they were as old as cosmic evolutionary theory suggests.
Many of the above things and much more can be found at https://creation.com/age-of-the-earth.
Even today, evolutionary scientists are trying to come up with answers to these problems. They’re trying to fit these “observations” into the evolutionary theory. Rather than letting these “observations” speak for themselves, and show the weakness of the evolutionary theory, they’re trying to cram these facts into the theory. Eventually, these scientists will realize that you can only have so many exceptions to a theory before you have to admit that your theory is wrong. This is starting to happen already… https://christiannews.net/2017/09/18/biologist-acknowledges-rising-number-of-publications-calling-for-major-revision-of-standard-theory-of-evolution/
The challenge is not just coming from creationism. Its coming from intelligent design (ID) and other secular scientists who see the weakness of evolutionary theory. While these are both legitimate lines of study (especially ID), we won’t be going into them here. For the most part, the evolutionists line of defense has been to ignore the ID theory and to attack the ID scientists credentials. When you have to resort to ad hominem attacks, you know your argument is weak. I have always wondered why, if creationism and ID are such weak theories, evolutionists fight so hard to keep them out of the classrooms. You’d think they’d love to expose ID and creationism weaknesses by teaching them. Maybe they’re afraid that by exposing students to them that they’ll believe them. After almost 100 years of absolute control in public schools, they still haven’t convinced Americans of their view… https://news.gallup.com/poll/210956/belief-creationist-view-humans-new-low.aspx.
The current theory of evolution has been changed so many times, its incredible that it still has supporters.
Finally, after researching the science behind creationism, I looked at the biblical evidence. I studied all the different “Genesis” theories. They are listed at https://bsssb-llc.com/how-did-we-get-here/. The only one that made sense to me was the 6 day creationism theory. I mean, how more exact can you get when it says “And there was evening and morning and it was the 3rd day?” You really have to twist the scripture to get anything but a 24 hour day. And remember, Genesis is written in narrative, not poetic, form.
So, here’s what I have come to believe…
– no one theory will answer all objections to it. Every theory has its weaknesses.
– that the theory of evolution, 6 day creationism and ID are all scientific theories with their strengths and weaknesses.
– that you shouldn’t teach only one theory, evolution, in the classroom. That’s not education, it’s indoctrination.
– all theories have their weaknesses and they shouldn’t be ignored or covered up.
– you should NEVER try to cram observational facts into any theory. Let the facts speak for themselves.
– never ever attack a scientist personally. Always be willing to look at their point of view.
– I personally lean very strongly toward the 6 day creationism theory.
The New Answers Books (1-4) from Answers in Genesis
The Death of Evolution by Jim Black
Dismantling the Big Band by Dr. John Hartnett and Alex Williams
Darwin, Then and Now by Richard Nelson
In the Beginning by Dr. Walt Brown
The Genius of Ancient Man by Don Landis
A Flood of Evidence by Ken Ham & Bodie Hodge
Questioning Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey by Dr. Elizabeth Mitchell
For His Kingdom,